Ways I Earned Money Writing (and Not)

Mike's post yesterday inspired me to share my assortment of odd jobs with you today.

I love reading those short one-paragraph author biographies. Especially the ones where an author was a strawberry picker, circus acrobat, and anaconda trainer.  Ok - I made that up, but an author with experience like that has to be able to tell an fascinating story, right?

My resume is not nearly so exotic.  My first paying job, when I was in 4th grade, was walking the neighbor girl to the bus stop.  For $5 a week, I had to endure a brutal kindergartner who regularly knocked me over and made me eat grass.

Later I babysat (though the kid who stripped naked and burned the fur off the family cat ended my short career), tutored math (this makes me laugh now), and wrote articles for the teen page of the Dayton Daily News.

In college I worked in catering, graded German papers, was a Sandwich Artist at Subway, and taught English to a Japanese preteen who was in love with Leonardo DiCaprio (all our conversational lessons revolved around him).

When I worked at a call center for an office supply company, I handled the Spanish speaking customers (who invariably wanted balloons printed with Jesus te ama! on them). To get away from the phones, I volunteered to write the company newsletter (writing!).

My first internship in advertising in Germany led to my copywriting gig, which led to my freelance writing/editing/translating business.

And now I'm writing novels and picture books. Hopefully when I do school visits one day, no kindergartners will tackle me and make me eat grass.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Training is energy of a man from which he can challenge the other individuals so the informed man is the manufacturer of our general public we should value it and furthermore respect him we ought to likewise bolster other individuals who needs to get instruction.Click on this

Anonymous said...

In this article, you give the good information to the people that how they can earn the money. The good thing is that you make the phases with australianwriting and try to convey the information with the good style. I totally love this article.

Gabroo said...

Now you can earn money from this article very easily with simple steps. If you have the broad sense of thinking and you can write any article with good grammar and logic, then be ready to write the college student resume for internship 2018 and show your skills to the admin.

Unknown said...

Nice post! Very informative blog for the student who wants to earn money through writing. You're doing a good job through this post. Student can visit cover letter writing service to get more ideas to earn money through writing.

Unknown said...

Awesome writing.

Unknown said...

Beginning a biography writing service is viewed as a frightening undertaking, you are dealing with the responsibility of writing about yet another person's life plus it could look scary at first, but when you have the hang of this, it's maybe not many distinctive from any other sort of writing. explore more to see the sample of quality writing services.

anonymous said...

Local education should improve not only for the students but also good for the country. Students are very important for the country because in future they will run this country. Texas City should improve their local education system and it is good for the future and phd researcher online help all individual.

anonymous said...

I feel so good when the youth is working with a good way. Brian is the good and educated man who is doing the fantastic job. I want to say lots of the things on this topic but I did not know how to express in words and cheap phd research proposal help all student. Thank you!

Cali Luna said...

Writing is also a skill that everyone takes hard work to acquire, and of course, it's not possible for everyone to learn it quickly, Mike has started writing his ability will gradually increase & there are many online writing skills learning services that can be accessed as well as using Primary Arms Coupon. But only those who are interested try to learn it.