Game of Thrones

I’m one of those people who hasn’t read the books the HBO series GAME OF THRONES is based on, A Song of Fire and Ice. But I’ve watched every episode. I was lucky enough to see George RR Martin last year at Renovation and heard him speak about the filming and the challenges of adapting such an ambitious project. One thing that was particularly funny was a battle scene where men just appeared walking over a hill. It looked odd at the time and George explained it was because they had no budget at that point for the horses.

If you haven’t seen it, you should. Everything about the series is well-done, from the amazing title sequence to the brilliant, mostly Irish and British cast, each one so perfect you can’t imagine anyone else in the role.

Game of Thrones Infographic : History and Lore Timeline v1.0

A timeline.

Game of Thrones Infographic : Illustrated Guide to Houses and Character Relationships

It helps to have a scorecard to know the relationships between the characters. Just don’t be surprised if there’s a lot of crossover.

Now here comes my only complaint about this brilliant series – I want more dragons! We saw Daenerys hatch the babies and we got one brief scene last week where one was on her shoulder – for about 30 seconds.

And then she stuffed him away in this cage:

This week? Nothing. Now I love the show, but it feels like a long ways between the fantasy elements. There are plenty of brothel scenes, fights, backstabbing… can’t we have just a few more dragons, please? I know they’re pricey, but this is what we want to see. Like this one:


What about you? Are you getting all that you want from the show?

post signature

7 comments:

nephite blood spartan heart said...

That's what I like about the series-low magic. I am looking forward to more with the dragons but since I've read the books, I know what to expect.

Oh and Happy Birthday

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Whoops, sorry I thought Elena wrote this.

Lissa Price said...

LOL. I was trying to figure out if you meant my book birthday (it just came out in the UK)... Thanks for commenting.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I really love this series. I read the first book and the first year really matched the book.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of and I'm watching the first two shows twice to get it all in. I'd love to see the dragons more and to know what's behind the wall they protect.

Jaime Morrow said...

I haven't read the books, but I love the show. Some character favourites are: Jon Snow, Arya, and Tyrion. What I could do with less of is all of the breasts. I'm not a prude, but it does seem a bit excessive at times.

Angie Smibert said...

I read the books because of the series, and the series is very faithful. There's not much dragon action in the books either. Some as they grow bigger, but I gotta admit I got tired of the Danerys storyline after a while in the books. I won't give anything away, but she and the dragons get bogged down across the sea. I love Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow throughout.

Lissa Price said...

I love the actress who plays Danerys.