Got Blue Milk?

It's one of the smallest details in the vast, epic world of STAR WARS: blue milk. It only exists for a few brief shots in the first movie--near the beginning, before Luke goes on his quest, he drinks a nice cold refreshing glass of milk. That's blue.

In recent years, the blue milk has achieved some fame--in part because a fan film parodied it and subsequently won the 2006 Star Wars Fan Film Award.

But I wanted to mention it today for another reason--because while this is a tiny detail, one many would call a throw-away detail--it is the tiny details like this that truly make a world come alive.

I don't care if you tell me all about the science behind the engine on your space ship. I don't need to know the exact method in which the plague overtook the population. It's not necessary for me to learn the genetic structure of the mutants or the precise method that makes the time travel science work.

I want blue milk.

For me, it's the little details, the almost over-looked background that makes the world real. In the end, I only really have one question:

8 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Amen, Beth!

How's that for a Father's Day Sunday?

Unknown said...

Oh, me too!
Casual little details that show this world is not our world. In both SF and fantasy, those are the things I love best of all!

Jill the OWL said...

This is soooooo funny because I was just watching it with my son and noted the blue milk. And I started thinking about how minor it was but yet cool. I agree that it's the little things that make a world whole and complete and that makes it more real!

K. L. Hallam said...

This is reminding me, how when i was a young kid and couldn't stand the taste of milk, I would put blue dye and ice cubes to drink it. ( I've since discovered I'm lactose intolerant) :)

K. L. Hallam said...

And Yes, It was because Luke Skywalker drank his this way.

Stephsco said...

I love this post and the blue milk. I never connected it as being milk, but just like a blue beverage of some sort. I'm wondering if this post was inspired by Spike TV airing Star Wars over the weekend. If I scan through cable and see Star Wars on (yes, even the prequels) I MUST WATCH at least 10 minutes.

The blue milk is a good focus point since it takes away from Luke's whining a bit. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. What a great post. I never knew that was milk! I thought it was some other unearthly drink. My daughter would probably still call it unearthly since her and milk don't get along very well. :) Great point about details. SO important.

parenting articles said...

i want blue milk too!!:D

parenting articles