Dystopian February Theme Month at Presenting Lenore

In February 2010, I kicked off my very first theme month dedicated solely to dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction.  Back then, dystopian was an emerging trend, buoyed by the popularity of THE HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE.

Now, two short years later, we are in the midst of a dystopian explosion, with new upcoming titles being announced every week it seems.  But with so many new dystopians available, how do you choose which to read?



That's where Dystopian February at my personal blog, Presenting Lenore, can help.  Starting tomorrow and continuing all through the month, I will be posting reviews, previews, author interviews, and in-depth discussions of books that may or may not be on your radar.  I also have so many book giveaways planned, I can hardly keep track of them. (Spoiler alert: I'll be giving away, among others, League books such as A MILLION SUNS, STARTERS & THE OTHER LIFE)

By now, I've read over 100 books in the genre (see index of all my dystopian reviews) and I'm still super excited about it.  Based on the types of books I've come across in my reading, I've created five categories of dystopians/post-apocalyptics:

World-building books - These are the books that (usually) take a real world issue or concern and barrel down the slippery slope to explore a future world through the distorted lens of that issue.  They can be very deep and philosophical. For example: FEED by MT Anderson (media addiction)

Action books - These are the page-turners that get your adrenaline pumping and make you bite your fingernails until the tips of your fingers are raw.  They are often stories of surviving despite terrible odds.  For example: ASHES by Ilsa J. Bick

Twisty books - Surprising, original, fun - these are the books that are unpredictable and make the genre feel fresh again.  For example: VARIANT by Robison Wells

Romance books - The world may be ending, but that doesn't stop the chemistry between these books' characters from melting off your pants. For example: SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi

Amazing writing - These are the books that get under your skin with their perceptive insights into character, their lyrical prose, and their masterfully created atmospheres.  For example: WITHER by Lauren DeStefano

And of course, there are the books that seem to have it all and could fit into any category (HUNGER GAMES, anyone?) -- but for my purposes, I'm giving each book I review a merit badge in one of the above categories (see the merit badges here - they are ADORBS!) so if you know you prefer world-building books over all else, you'll know which titles to look out for.

Hope you enjoy Dystopian February!  What do you think my categories? Am I missing any in your opinion?




10 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'll be following your blog for dystopian recommendations. Thanks for letting me know.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks Natalie - hope you find some books you end up loving!

Susanne Winnacker said...

Love the new merit badges. The zombie chickens look so adorable! Especially the twisty one!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

So, so, so excited for Dystopian February. And I love the recommendations I get from you all month long (especially with the new categories).

Unknown said...

OHMYGOODNESS I love the merit badges!!!

Elana Johnson said...

Love your dystopian month!! Can't wait to see what goes down over there in the next 29 days.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks Susanne + Beth ... isn't Daniel a genius?

Hope you enjoy #dystopianfeb Melissa!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Thanks Elana! I need to get myself a copy of your new book ...

Lissa Price said...

Those merit badges are KILLER!!! What a great idea.

Melissa West said...

LOVE those badges! Can't wait for Dystopian Feb. :)