MEMENTO NORA Review

Review of MEMENTO NORA by the incredibly talented Angie Smibert.

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert


From Memento Nora website:

“Nora, the popular girl and happy consumer, witnesses a horrific bombing on a shopping trip with her mother. In Nora’s near-future world, terrorism is so commonplace that she can pop one little white pill to forget and go on like nothing ever happened. However, when Nora makes her first trip to a Therapeutic Forgetting Clinic, she learns what her mother, a frequent forgetter, has been frequently forgetting. Nora secretly spits out the pill and holds on to her memories. The memory of the bombing as well as her mother’s secret and her budding awareness of the world outside her little clique make it increasingly difficult for Nora to cope. She turns to two new friends, each with their own reasons to remember, and together they share their experiences with their classmates through an underground comic. They soon learn, though, they can’t get away with remembering.”

I’m sure most of us have said or thought, “Wow, I’d really like to forget that.” But, would we really? Part of what makes us who we are in the present is what we’ve experienced in the past. Even painful memories have their place, helping us to work through difficult emotions and move past traumatic experiences.

In MEMENTO NORA, Angie Smibert explores what a world with no bad memories might be like. Pop a pill at the TFC (Therapeutic Forgetting Clinic) and voile, bad memory gone.

When Nora discovers what it is that sends her mother to the TFC on a regular basis, she decides she doesn’t want to forget things. Instead, she vows to remember.

I'd love to tell you the whole story! But... I'm not going to. You HAVE TO read the book! Seriously - it's a gripping read - careening you from start to startling finish.
MEMENTO NORA is face-paced, exciting, and, for me, it was un-put-down-able. The characters, their situations and friendship, ring true, the writing is fabulous (including the new slang), and the story races to an ending that had me immediately emailing Angie and asking, “Where’s the sequel? I’ve got to have one! Now!”

Please excuse the gushing, I can't help it! Dystopian fans will LOVE MEMENTO NORA! It’s a fantastic story and a real page-turner! It's a small book that packs a huge wallop!

5 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

I had never read dystopian before following the League's blog. Now I'm addicted to the genre and I can't wait for my copy of Memento Nora to arrive in the mail. (I'm hoping on Friday or earlier.)

Alissa Grosso said...

I'll join you in gushing - Memento Nora is a great book!

Kiki Hamilton said...

MEMENTO NORA is great and definitely makes you think. Especially the ending.

Carrie Harris said...

Gosh, yes! The ending KILLED me, but I don't want to give it away. Suffice to say that it is 27 different kinds of awesome.

Angie Smibert said...

*blushes* Thanks guys and Julia.

Jessica, I hope you enjoy it too!