Friday's Fun: I will BLOW YOUR MIND

So, I have to admit, I didn't stumble across today's Friday's Fun through my labor-intensive super-scientific research.

But first, a confession: I'm a Nerd Fighter.

And recently, while skimming through the super-amazing awesome Vlogs of Nerd Fighter founders Hank and John Green, I found Hank's video about how very very very tiny we all are

Hank talked about the Hubble Deep Field telescope, and how the latest images show thousands--millions--of galaxies as far as the eye can see.

Dystopian works are irrevocably linked to science fiction, and science fiction, of course, is irrevocably linked to science. Think about how vast the universe is...how many possibilities there are for the future...and how far away (for now) we all are.


And if you want your MIND BLOWN? Check the video out below:

16 comments:

Kate Evangelista said...

Cool vids! Thanks.

Julia said...

Beth - this is why I love sci-fi & dystopia & anything speculative. I mean... OMG! My mind is BLOWN! YAY!

Unknown said...

BOOM! :)

Angie said...

Fun stuff, Beth.

PJ Hoover said...

Beth, I saw the IMAX on the Hubble recently, and even though I'm math and sciency, my mind was totally blown. Could not believe it.

Unknown said...

Tricia, I am SO jealous! Hubble in IMAX? I so need to move to TX.

lotusgirl said...

I've seen some amazing things from Hubble online. Aren't the galaxies gorgeous?

Sherrie Petersen said...

I took the kids to NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab on Sunday for their open house and let me tell you, I came away awestruck and inspired. The possibilities for the future, for life, for incredible dystopian novels--yeah, it's mind blowing!

Sherrie Petersen said...

BTW, they had the original Hubble camera there on loan from the Smithsonian so that was pretty amazing too :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

My mind is blown. Thank heavens it's Friday! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Watching videos and seeing pics of space always fills me with awe - and makes me feel very, very small. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Scraping my mind up off the floor here. :D

Jay said...

Love this stuff. Was in D.C. last month (accidental cherry blossoms) and spent hours at the Air and Space Museum. The Hubble Imax film was fantastic.

Jackee said...

Hubble still amazes me. Loved that second video! Thanks for sharing. :o)

P.S. I'm so glad you guys have this blog--can't wait to see what ya'll cook up!

Erinn said...

Nerd fighters forever! Nerd fighters are the best people in the universe, no matter how big it is. They are cool geeks that make the world a better place.

I posted my side project, Project Nice 2.0 on the Decrease world suck forum and out of the 50 people who signed up for it 25 were nerd
fighters who had never met me.

John and hank blow my mind and I posted that video for my students to view

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Nerdfighters FTW! I love that video, it's amazing.